Friday 21 June 2013

THE COUNTRY CLOSES DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE


Midsummer approaching! Soon I'll be here:
 
 The only time a year when pretty much everything is closed everywhere (expect for that one supemarket in Kamppi I guess, that makes a big deal about actually being open every single day ); people head out to the countryside and the islands to celebrate summer, drink a lot and have bonfires and enjoy the light night (and sadly too, drown. People always drown en masse at midsummer, every year.)

I've spent many of my adult midsummers in the half empty city, as I often had a shift in the harbor. (Except for one midsummer when I was in Bali and another I celebrated on a strange small-boat cruise.) Last year we were in the hospital with the little new born Dag of course, curtains down not knowing weather it was night or day and now, for this year, we'll head out to the archipelago to my parent's summer house over the weekend. Lots of food, hopefully sun, no electricity - and no wifi.


Happy midsummer!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds bliss!
Enjoy!
And a happy midsummer to you too!

Roxy said...

Sounds so relaxing. I wish we did more of that here in the US.

Unknown said...

Wonderful!